Friday, November 16, 2007

Vista



I called tech support yesterday, and they told me I should reinstall windows xp .... again!

This is a high end professional computer with loads of memory, a fast disk, and upgraded chip set. This should NOT have been happening.

In my online search for remedies I realized this computer was not meant for XP, but for Vista. After some haggeling I obtained a copy of Windows Vista Business.

I had been warned adnauseum about the trouble with Vista incompatability issues, both hardware and software.

Well yesterday I took the plunge! At about 4 pm I began to install Vista as an update! This was another move I had been warned against.

I backed up all my data, and pressed update.

It took about an hour and 45 minutes to upgrade. There were few programs that wouldn't run, and I had a few drivers that wouldn't work. First thing I did was go to the Windows download page and downloaded 38 upgrades. Then I checked each program and when updates were needed I went to their web page and downloaded updates for Vista.

At about 1 AM all my programs were updated, my drivers were all working, BUT suddenly my computer couldn't see my wireless network!

I had been talking to Linksys tech about a IT job I was doing and I remembered them telling me that sometimes when an SSID isn't broadcast even other computers or extenders can't see them. So I changed my airport to broadcast my SSID, keeping WEP enabled, and voila, I was back online.

Thus far I am VERY pleased!! Fast, stable, and no sign of the problems I had been having.

I a told there is a SP coming out at the first of the year, so that will hopefully solve the SSID problem.

So far so good!! I love the new features, and it is "eye candy!"

No comments: